Measuring Instructions for Vertical Blinds
View Instructions for Inside Mount
Inside mounted vertical blinds mount inside the window casing, and do not cover the window molding.
View Instructions for Outside Mount
Outside mounted vertical blinds are mounted on the wall and cover the window molding.
Instructions for Inside Mounted Vertical Blinds
- You will first have to check if your window is deep enough for an inside mount. You can find this information under the “Product Info” tab on each vertical blinds product page.
How to Measure the Width
- Measure the exact width (left to right) of the inside edge of the window frame in three places (top, middle and bottom).
- Take the smallest of the three measurements.
- Write down that size making sure that it is the first number of the measurement. This is the width you will order.
- The factory will make all necessary deductions to allow for mounting brackets. Production department will deduct ¼” on width.
- Please be sure to measure exactly as instructed BUT NOT TAKE OFF ANYTHING FROM THE MEASUREMENTS TO ALLOW FOR FREE SPACE since we automatically take deductions from the measurements on your order to provide for this free space.
- If you are planning to do a flush mount, please ensure that you have the space required to do so--you'll find the 'Flush mounting space required' under the Features tab for your blinds.
How to Measure the height
- Measure the exact height (top to bottom) from the top inside edge down to the window sill in three places.
- Take the largest of the three measurements.
- Write down that size making sure that it is the second number of the measurement. This is the height you will order.
- Keep in mind that height includes headrail. Vanes will be about 1 3/4” smaller than height ordered but when attached to headrail it will total to height ordered.
- Production department will deduct ½” on height. Total deduction for vanes will be 2”.
NOTE: Width and length measurements may vary +/- 1/8”
Instructions for Outside Mounted Vertical Blinds
For an outside mount, measure your window as you would for an inside mount and then add additional inches to have optimum light control and privacy.
Measuring the width
- Measure the exact width (left to right) of the wooden or metal window frame or how wide you would like the blind or shade to be.
- Make sure to measure wide enough as to cover the entire window and provide maximum light gap coverage. Example: If the window opening is 72", it might be helpful to order 76". This will provide 2" coverage on each side of the window.
- There is no rule on the width of blinds other than to make sure that it is wide enough to cover the opening.
- Keep in mind that the valance will be about 2” wider than width ordered.
- Write down that size making sure that it is the first number of the measurement.
Measuring the height
- Measure the height you would like the blind to be by measuring top to bottom.
- We recommend adding about 3 or 4 inches to this number to insure maximum light gap coverage and to cover the window completely.
- Please be sure to know that the height measurement will always include the headrail. Example: if the height ordered is 80” this will be the height including the headrail (from the very top of the headrail to the bottom rail). The vanes will be about 1 3/4” smaller than height ordered so when attached to headrial it will total to height ordered.
- You will want to mount the headrail above the window frame. Please make a note that some windows have trim that might interfere with mounting so it's important to measure above the trim if this is the case.
- Headrail is 1 3/4” in height.
*width and length measurements may vary +/- 1/8"