Keeping Kids Safe
Window blinds and shades are a key part of any room décor, and help filter or block natural light as well as provide privacy. However, window coverings with cords are a hazard in any home with children, as children can become entangled in the cords which can lead to injury or even death.
The good news is that you can easily eliminate this risk in your home by choosing cordless window coverings. At Select Blinds Canada, we have a wide range of cordless options for all of our most popular blinds and shades. Click here to browse our many cordless products, which provide the ultimate in safety for any home with kids (or pets).
Child Safety Tips
If you are unable to replace all of your corded window coverings with cordless right now, we recommend the following to provide the safest environment for kids.
- Install only cordless blinds and shades in baby nurseries and kids rooms.
- Replace window treatments made before 2001, as blinds & shades manufactured now are much safer.
- Ensure that pull cords are secured with a cord cleat, and that continuous-loop cords are anchored to the wall or floor.
- Make sure there are no accessible cords on the front, side, or back of all window coverings.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions and read all warnings. Corded window coverings become a greater risk if they are not properly installed.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys far away from any windows with corded blinds/shades.
- Keep all cords high enough so that they are out of the reach of children.
- Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords.
- Lock cords into position whenever blinds or shades are lowered.
- Never tie knots in cords and untie any knots that form. Also remove any devices that form dangling loops anywhere on the cords.
Have any questions about cordless blinds and the safest window coverings to choose for your home? Our Customer Satisfaction Team is always here to help.