Blinds & Shades Technical Tips
How To Replace The Slats Of Your Horizontal Blinds
Want to replace the slats of your blinds? No problem; just follow these handy instructions:
- First, find the plugs on the underside of the bottomrail, one beneath each string ladder. Remove the plugs to release the string ladders and the knotted lift cord at the same time
- With the lift cord released, undo the knot. Pull up the lift cord just enough to release the bottomrail and the slats up to and including the one(s) you want to replace. Be careful not to pull up the lift cord too much and accidentally release too many slats. You don’t want to have to replace any more slats than necessary.
- Replace slat(s) that you want replaced, by stringing the lift cord through the new slats in the same manner as it is through the remaining slats that you did not remove.
- Do the same thing with each of the old slats that you want to put back onto the blind, carefully restringing each one. PRO TIP: As you replace the lift cord through the new and returning slats alternate from left to right as you place them on each ladder rung. Continue this way, until you have reached the bottom of the string ladder.
- At the bottom, you can push the lift cord through the hole in the bottomrail hole, then tie it in a knot. Make sure that the bottom rail hangs level (you might want to verify this with a level tool). If necessary, readjust the position of the knots to adjust the exact length of, as well as to ensure that all the slats hang evenly.
- Replace the bottomrail plugs back into the holes on the bottom of the bottomrail. Use a rubber mallet or hammer to keep from marking the plugs.